We all know how important skincare is, but skincare tools can definitely help with your beauty regimen! There are many tools available on the market, such as facial rollers and gua sha. The best part about a gua sha is that it’s a relatively simple tool to add to your regimen. A gua sha is used to help “de-puff” the face, and helps you to contour your features by using sweeping motions. Snatch your jawline without the need for surgery by using a gua sha daily! Here’s a few tips on how to use a gua sha:
Step 1 - Cleanse Your Face and Gua Sha
Make sure your face, hands, and gua sha are clean! Use hand soap for your hands, and your facial cleanser on your face and gua sha. The last thing you want to do is potentially cause any breakouts, so do not skip this step!
Step 2 - Apply a Facial Oil
Place a generous amount of face oil, like our Perk Serum, to your face and neck area. The Perk Serum will help the gua sha to glide easily. If you feel like your tool is dragging too much during the massage, then feel free to reapply some oil!
Step 3 - Perform The Gua Sha Massage
Now’s the time to begin your actual gua sha massage! Hold the tool at a 30 to 45-degree angle and gently pull it across your skin. You should be starting from the center of your face and pulling the tool out, since this follow the lymphatic system’s flow. Repeat each movement about five times before moving onto the next area.
Here are a few areas on the face that you should focus on:
- Jawline and Chin: Glide your gua sha from the center of the chin out to the earlobe to contour the jawline. Repeat a few times, then once you arrive at the earlobe on your last glide, glide down the neck a few times to expel any toxins into the lymphatic system.
- Forehead: Start at the center of the forehead and glide your tool outwards. Scrape once, then move down a bit and scrape again. Again, be gentle since there is a lot of bone here!
- Cheek: Start at the nose and glide in an upward, sweeping motion along the cheeks and cheekbones, moving out toward the ears.
- Under-Eye: Start in the inner corner of the eye and gently glide outwards to the temple. Don’t apply too much pressure since this area has delicate skin.
- Brows: Glide upwards along the brow bone - going from the inside out to the temple.
- Neck: Section your neck into four areas and scrape each section from the bottom up, then do a quick scrape of the jawline and sweep down.
Step 4 - Complete The Rest of Your Skincare Routine
Depending on your skincare goals, you can massage the remaining Perk Serum or face oil into your skin with your hands, or you can wipe away any residual oil with a damp cloth. Then, finish up your morning or evening skincare regimen! We recommend performing gua sha in the morning since many of us often wake up with “puffy” faces after sleeping for several hours.
For best results, use your gua sha every other day, for about three to five minutes each time!